Monday 11 June 2012

[Preview] Jazzy Jeff- Live at Lakota Bristol (Published in Fear Of Fiction May 2012 Issue)












I was always a sickly child. 

I used to blame it on the diet of John West and Philidelphia cheese spread upon which I was raised.
I spent most of my free time in my school playground relaxing and occasionally playing basketball.
One fateful day two older boys decided to cause a ruckus in my local community. Not standing for a breach of the peace on my watch I ended up in a little scrap.
Upon hearing of this my mother became concerned with my well being and insisted I stayed with her sister Viv and her husband.

Whether that’s true or just the intro to ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ isn’t important. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t know of the man like Jazzy Jeff and his light hearted contributions to the world of hip hop.
He’s been around for a few centuries short of an aeon and although he’s never quite topped the work he did with Bill Smith in terms of popularity, he’s kept his head above water with some fantastic scratch heavy collaborations with Slum Village, Talib Kweli, Little Brother and The Roots to name but a few.

Speaking from wonderfully rose tinted experience, he always knows how to bring the party and with the Futureboogie DJs sweetening the deal in the form a 90’s inspired rinse out, there’s no excuse. 

Bristol is his kingdom and he’s finally here. So whistle for a cab and get to Lakota.


No comments:

Post a Comment